Error processing resource - What in the world does this mean?

Over the past two days I have created some test sites and some new sites to begin development on.  Yesterday I hit a little stumbling block and had a little bit of trouble finding the solution.  So I created a new site, MyNewSite for example, on my local web server.  If I ran it from within Visual Studio 2005 it came up fine, but as you know I do not rely on that web server to build and test because it is difficult to configure third party controls to work in it.  When I tried to browse it using http://localhost/mynewsite I kept getting this error displayed everytime I went to the page:

The XML page cannot be displayed

Cannot view XML input using XSL style sheet. Please correct the error and then click the Refresh button, or try again later.

A name was started with an invalid character. Error processing resource 'http://localhost/mynewsite/'. Line 1, Posi...

<%@ Page Language='VB' MasterPageFile='~/default.master' AutoEventWireup='false' CodeFile='Default.aspx.vb' Inherits='_De...

Great, I said, what does this mean.  I tried a few things, like making sure the virtual directory was set to an application, it was using ASP.NET, etc., and had no luck.  So I checked my IIS logs to see what Status Code was logged, 200 and 302/304, which are all good and expected in this situation.

So I hit the messageboards and saw many others are having this issue.  Several solutions I found were to uninstall and reinstall the ASP.NET 2.0 framework.  I really did not think that was the problem because I have many other sites that are running off the same IIS 5.1 installation.  They were all set up in the past 30 days (this is a new workstation afterall) and worked just fine.

So I thought I would try the 'Browse' option from within the IIS manager.  The site came up!  So I thought what is different, that is the same as I tried before.  Then it hit me, case sensativity.  Yep that was the culpret, http://localhost/MyNewSite worked just fine.  So if you get this error, try changing the URL in your address bar to be case sensative.  BTW, all the problems I saw people reporting in the messageboards seemed to be related to Windows XP and IIS 5.1, so I think this is a security feature of the latest patches, etc.

Share This Article With Your Friends!

Googles Ads Facebook Pixel Bing Pixel LinkedIn Pixel