The Internet Explorer team announced one of the best features they have announced in years at BUILD, enterprise mode. If you did not read my enterprise mode post give it a quick read. A quick summation is Internet Explorer Enterprise Mode gives enterprises a save way to upgrade to the latest technologies without breaking legacy line of business applications. Enterprise mode is a full featured Internet Explorer 8 emulation mode with performance improvements and 2014 levels of security. In essence it lets employees work in the modern world without breaking those legacy applications your business depends upon.
Since it was first announced there have been many resources published and I thought I would share a list:
Documentation and Other Resources
- Stay up to date with Enterprise Mode for Internet Explorer 11.
- TechNet contains updated information for exploring, planning, deploying, managing, and supporting Internet Explorer. A section on Enterprise Mode has been added to the Internet Explorer 11 Deployment Guide. The Build session on Better App Compat with Enterprise Mode for Internet Explorer 11 is available as a technical overview.
- Public forums for discussing Enterprise Mode deployment, management, and best practices are available through TechNet Forums.
Enterprise Mode Site List Manager
Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2
- KB article - Description of the security update for Internet Explorer 11 on Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2: April 8, 2014
- Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer 11 in Windows 7 (KB2929437)
- Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer 11 in Windows 7 x64 Edition (KB2929437)
- Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer 11 in Windows Server 2008 R2 x64 Edition (KB2929437)
Windows 8.1 and Windows Server 2012 R2
- KB article - Windows RT 8.1, Windows 8.1, and Windows Server 2012 R2 Update April, 2014 Windows 8.1 Update (KB2919355) Windows 8.1 Update for x64-based Systems (KB2919355) Windows Server 2012 R2 Update (KB2919355)
- MSDN Subscribers – Full versions of Windows 8.1 Enterprise with Update
You can also e-mail the team feedback at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Its time to stop using Internet Explorer 8 and embrace the modern web. Not only will your employees thank you your cost to build client applications will go down. Plus you can start building future-friendly web applications, which if based on standards should enjoy a longer life-cycle and be easier to maintain. Legacy application should no longer be an excuse to hold all other applications back. Enterprise Mode is the solution your IT department can have confidence in to safely upgrade the desktop without breaking those old applications.